It’s October and time for the holiday full of candy, dressing up, and everything scary. Halloween is one of the best holidays. You can go trick-or-treating, give out the candy, go visit a fake or real haunted house, or just have your own party. I would suggest doing all of the fun activities on Halloween because if you don’t you are missing out on a lot of fun. Here are some fun facts about Halloween:
- Orange and black are the colors for Halloween because orange is the color for fall and black is the color for death.
- Jack-o-lanterns originally came from Ireland. They would put candles in turnips to keep away ghosts and spirits.
- Tootsie rolls were the first one cent candy in America.
- Black cats were believed to be witches familiars and supposedly protected the witch’s powers.
- There really are vampire bats. They live in Central and South America and they feed off of blood from cattle, horses, and birds.
- If you see a spider on Halloween it is the spirit of a loved one watching over you.
- The United States first Halloween was in Minnesota in 1921.
By: Sara McIntosh, Staff Writer